What to do:
- gather children in a group
near a corner or end of the room, tell them that they are going on a Lion
Hunt in the Jungle
- teach, "Going on a Lion
Hunt, I’m not afraid, Gonna have some fun!" by getting group to chant
it with you a few times
- start by leading group off
on Safari, chanting verse, then suddenly stop! Look around with hand over
brow exclaiming, "What’s this?" Looks like tall, tall, grass...children
echo chant with you, "Can’t go under it…echo, Can’t get around it…echo,
can’t go over it…echo, Gotta go through it!
You will need:
- a medium to large playspace
- a group of children
- at this point all of you proceed through the imaginary tall, tall grass
making "swish, swish" noises as you go through
- brush yourself off and wipe your brow with a "Whew", continue
on chanting original chant, "Going on a Lion Hunt, etc.
- then arrive at a huge river and suddenly
stop! Look with hand over brow and exclaim, "What’s this? Looks like
a big long river (gesture
hugeness of river across your path)…
- children echo chant as before, "Can’t go under it…echo, Can’t get
around it…echo, can’t go over it…echo, Gotta go through it!
- lead the way through the imaginary huge, fast river making "swimming
actions, and breathing and puffing", once through squeeze the water
from your clothes and continue on with original stalking chant, "Going
on a Lion Hunt…etc."
- then come to a swamp. Stop. Look. Describe to group, Ooh, it looks like
a huge squishy, muddy, swamp!
- children then echo chant as before, "Can’t go under it…echo, Can’t
get around it…echo, can’t go over it…echo, Gotta go through it!
- once through, shake legs to get the mud off and continue on with original
game chant, "Going on a Lion Hunt…etc."
- Finally stop. Look. Describe a huge cave you see, it’s big, and dark,
and scary, and, and, and, THERE’S TWO SHINY EYES LOOKING STRAIGHT AT US!
- on the way back home, you must go back through all the places you visited
on your way there, in reverse order of course!
- Swamp (with sound/action);
River (with sound/action);
Tall Grass (with
sound/action) and finally, safe back
home and SLAM THE DOOR! Aaagh! Fall down and rest.