You will need:
- film containers (available from film developing stores)
- small plastic cups
- small measuring spoons
- baking soda
- red food colouring
- a plastic tray to hold everything on
What to do:
- tell children that they are going to be making a miniature 'volcano'
- encourage them to get a measuring spoon of baking soda and put it into a film container
- next, scoop a spoonful of vinegar from a plastic glass or cup and put it into another film container
- add a drop of food colouring to the vinegar
- now, slowly add a small measuring spoonful of vinegar mixture to the baking soda
- LOOK OUT! COOL!
- this activity is lots of fun and the children love making the 'volcano' erupt
- try and keep things in small amounts as accidents are inevitable
- keeping thing on a tray with edges helps contain the 'lava'